Academic Areas: International Trade, Economic Integration, China’s Economy
09/2003-11/2008 Ph.D. in Economics Simon Fraser University (SFU)
09/ 2002-03/2003 M.A. in Economics York University
09/ 2000-06/2002 M.A. in Financial Economics Huazhong University of Science
09/1996-06/2000 B.A. in Economics (with Honors) HUST
08/2016-present Professor Huazhong University of
Science & Technology (HUST)
07/2014-07/2016 Associate Professor Shanghai University of Finance
and Economics (SHUFE)
07/2008-06/2014 Assistant Professor Shanghai University of Finance
04/2007-present Director Center for Open Development
06/2013-present Secretary-General Research Institute on Shanghai
Free Trade Zone, SHUFE
08/2010-present Vice President and Secretary-Gen. China trade Research Group
06/2012-present Research Associate Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
09/2012-present Research Consultant Pacific Economic Cooperation
Invited Lecturer, “Cross Culture Business in China”, to EMBA of Salzberg University;
“Trade Variety and Productivity: A New Perspective of Trade Liberalization andEconomic Development”, to senior officials from 79 countries invited by Ministry of
Commerce (MOFCOM), P.R.C.； “The SINO-US Economic Relationship”, to MBA of
Northeastern University (USA)
Instructor, Advanced Empirical Trade (Ph.D. level), Business Microeconomics (Undergrad
Instructor, Int’l Finance, Int’l Trade, Intermediate Microeconomics, SFU
International Trade, Economic Integration, China’s Economy
1. “Revisiting the Effective Rate of Protection in the Late Stages of Chinese
Industrialization”, (with David Jacks and Hong Ma), Forthcoming in the World
2. Bo Chen (with Yao Li and Yuming Yin) “FDI, Industry Heterogeneity, and
Employment Elasticity in China”, (with Yao Li and Yuming Yin), Review of Development
Economics(SSCI), Vol.20(1), pp189-200, 2016.
3. “Measuring China’s Trade Liberalization: A Generalized Measure of Trade
Restrictiveness Index.” (with Hong Ma and Yuan Xu), Journal of Comparative Economics
(SSCI)，Vol.(42), pp 994-1006, 2014.
4. “Analyzing Bilateral Trade Barriers under Global Trade Context.” (with Yao Li), Review
of Development Economics(SSCI), Vol.18(2), 326–339, 2014.
5. “Trans-Pacific Tariff Barriers: a Case Study of Five Asia—Pacific Developing Countries
and Canada”. China Economic Journal, Vol.7(2), 251-260, 2014.
6. “An Anatomy of Intermediaries in China’s Export Market.” (with Zhiyuan Li), China
Economic Journal, Vol.7(2), 187-213, 2014.
7. Bo CHEN. “Trade Variety and Productivity in Canada.” Review of Development
Economics (SSCI) , Vol.17（3）, pp414-429, 2013.
8. Bo CHEN (with Chaoqun He). “Exports and Wage Inequality: Theory and Evidence
from Chinese Firms.” Management World Vol(8), pp6-15, 2013. [in Chinese]
9. Bo Chen and Ran Jing (2013). “Financial Crisis, Financial Costs, and Exports Change in
China.” Economic Research Journal Vol(2),pp30-42, 2013. [in Chinese]
10. Bo Chen (with David Jacks). “Trade, Variety and Immigration.” Economics Letters
(SSCI)117, pp. 243-246, 2012. The findings of this paper have been referred to in
Marina Adshade (April 8, 2011), “New arrivals bring big benefit to Canada: Better
shopping”, the Global and Mail (one of the most influential mainstream newspaper in
Canada). This article was widely circulated in many other mainstream media such as
CTV News, BusinessWeek, USToday, the Times of India)
11. Bo Chen (with Hong Ma). “Import Variety and Welfare in China.” Review of International
Economics (SSCI), Vol.20(4), pp807–820,2012.
12. Bo Chen (with Hong Ma,). “Trade Restrictiveness and Deadweight Loss in China’s
Imports.” Frontiers of Economics in China, Vol.7(3), pp478-494, 2012.
13. Bo CHEN. “Revenue, Variety and Productivity in China's Export Sector”, Review of
International Economics (SSCI), Vol.19(2), pp341-355, 2011.
14. Bo CHEN (with Yuen Pau Woo). “Measuring Economic Integration in the Asia-Pacific
Region: A Principal Components Approach”, Asian Economic Papers (SSCI), Vol.9(2), pp
121-143, 2010. MIT Press. Previous version is available in: M. Kawai and S.F. Stone
eds., A Decade of Developments, pp163-181. 2009. Asian Development Bank Institute.
The indexes have been updated annually in the States of the Region Report by the
Pacific Economic Cooperation Council (PECC) since 2009.
15. Bo CHEN. “An Economic Model of Chinese Brain Drain and Circulation”, Southwestern
Journal of Economics, Vol XI(1), pp53-79, 2009.
● “Input Trade Liberalization and Wage Inequality: Theory and Evidence from China.”
(with Zhihao Yu and Miaojie Yu), revised and resubmitted to Journal of
● “Upstreamness, Exports, and Wage Inequality: Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing
● “Credit Constraint and Extensive Margin of Exports: Theory and Evidence in China”,
(with Ran Jing, Junjie Hong, and Xiaonan Sun).
● “International Vertical Integration and Wage Inequality within Firm: Theory and
Evidence.” (with Haichao Fan).
● 01/2016, Workshop on “Chinese Firms in a Globalized World”, University of Paris I and
● 01.2016, Workshop on “Growth, Trade, and Income Inequality in Asia-Pacific”,
University of Hawaii
● 10/2015, CCER Workshop on Trade and Development, Yantai, Chian
● 10/2014，CTRG-UIBE Workshop on International Trade and Investment, Beijing
● 03/2014, EIIT 2014 Asia Conference, Phuket, Thailand
● 10/2013, Boao-PECC Joint Meeting (One of the APEC Meetings), Bali Island, Indonesia
● 07/2013, the 1st Biennial Conference for China Development Studies ， Shanghai Jiaotong
● 06/2013, Conference on China, Inequality, Growth and the Middle-Income Trap, Peking
● October, 2012, Tsinghua-Columbia University Conference on Development, Beijing,.
● May, 2012, IEFS-China Annual Conference, Tianjin, China.
● June, 2011, CES Annual Conference, Beijing, China.
● June, 2010, APTS2010, Osaka, Japan
● May, 2010, IEFS-China annual Conference, Beijing, China
● June, 2009, APTS 2009 Meeting, Hong Kong, China.
● June, 2008; Canadian Economic Association Annual conference, Vancouver, Canada.
● March, 2008: Pacific Economic Outlook, Osaka, Japan.
● August 2006: The Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations (HPAIR) 2006
Annual Academic Conference, Singapore.
● 2016: University of Paris I, CEPII
● 2015: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, Kobe University
● 2014: Xiamen University, Simon Fraser University
● 2013: Chinese University of Hong Kong, Sun Yat-sen University，Southwest University
of Finance and Economics, University of Electronic Science and Technology in China
● 2012: Academia Sinica (China Taipei), Peking University, Central University of Finance
and Economics, Zhejiang University, Nanjing University
● 2011: University of International Business and Economics, Tsinghua University, University
of Macau, Huadong University of Science and Technology
● 2009: Shanghai JiaoTong University
● 2008: Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, Fudan University
● 2007: University of British Columbia (Vancouver Canada)
C Language: National Certificate (Chinese) for C Language, Band 2.
Experienced in Microsoft Office, Scientific Workplace, SAS, Stata, Eviews
Other Languages (familiar): SPSS, S-Plus, Matlab
Grants, Awards, and Fellowship
● “The Debt Sustainability Framework in Low-Income Countries,” Ministry of Treasure,
● “The Development Strategy in Simin Distict: 2016-2020,” Xiamen Government, 2015
● “An Zijie” Best Paper Award on International Trade (Biannual National Award ), 2014
● Research Grant on Consultation Projects of Wuhan Government, “Development
Strategies of Wuhan towards High Standard Market And Economic Centre in Central
China ”, Wuhan City Government, 2014.
● Research Grant on Consultation Projects of Shanghai Municipal Government, “Studies
on High Quality International Trade and Investment Agreements”, Shanghai Municipal
● 2013 “Zhongzheng” Fellowship for Research Excellence, SHUFE
● Standard Research Grant on Natural Science, “Trade Variety and Economic
Development”, National Science Foundation of China.
● Research Grant on Key Innovative Project, “Product Variety and Labor Market”,
Educational Bureau of Shanghai.
● Shanghai Pujiang Program Research Fellowship, “Trade Variety and Regional Productivity
Unbalance in China”, 2011-2012, SCTC.
● Standard Research Grant on Arts and Social Science, “Trade Variety and Welfare in
China”, 2011-2013, Educational Ministry of China.
● Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada Research Grant, “Trade Variety and Productivity in
● Metropolis-British Columbia Research Grant, “International Trade, Immigration, and
Productivity Growth in Canada”, 2008~2009.
● The President’s Research Stipend, Summer 2008, SFU
● Graduate Fellowship, Spring 2008, Fall 2007, Fall 2006, Summer 2004, SFU
● Chris Taylor Award, 2006, RIIM
● C.D. Nelson Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship, Fall 2003, SFU